medias & fgm
Medias & FGM
Media refers to different means of distributing and making information accessible to a larger group of persons and includes traditional media such as radio, tv and newspapers in addition to more recent tools such as blogs, vlogs and podcasts. Media tools can be produced by trained journalists but they can also be the fruit of the work of activists, professionals or other citizens.
This thematic discussion will explore different media used in FGM prevention and care for FGM survivors.
Which media can be used to promote the abandonment of FGM and how is this done? How succesful are they in changing hearts and minds and bringing about true change of FGM prevalence?
Are there barriers faced by journalists and activists producing any type of media to inform about the harms of FGM or accessible services?
We will discuss the key issue of How to speak about FGM when communicating to a broad audience. What words should we use or not use? Which narrative of FGM survivors do we want to portray and which pictures do we use to illustrate our information?
The thematic discussion started with two online conferences organized this week by AIDOS, one in English on Tuesday 28th and one in French on Wednesday 29th. The recording of these talks can be found on this page.
During the month of October 2021 the CoP invited members to share their opinions on how we best communicate on FGM as well as their experiences of working with media tools, including video, a podcast, a blog or traditional media such as local, national or international newspapers, TV or radio.
You can find the results of the discussion in the right-hand menu.
- AIDOS “One voice to End FGM, Access here
- AIDOS 2020, Collective Consensus and Harmful Norms Shift: Transformative Elements for Change, Access here
- AIDOS 2020, Dynamics of a social norm: Female Genital Mutilation, Access here
- AIDOS 2020, Gender inequality to shared positive social norms, Access here
- AIDOS 2020, Legislation as a tool for behavioural and social change, Access here
- End FGM EU Network, How to talk about FGM: Using respectful and non-stigmatising language, Access here
- End FGM EU Network (2020) Traditions and a Harmful Practice | Chain for Change Campaign – Female Genital Mutilation, Access here
- End FGM EU Network (2020), What is FGM? Access here
- Men End FGM, 2021, “We understand Now! Voices of Elders, Kings & Religious leaders from Tana River County: Access here
- The guardian 2013, FGM: the film that changed the law in Kurdistan – video, Access here
- UNFPA (2018) “Against my will”, Access here
- UNFPA (2020) “A piece of me”, Zahra’s story: Access here
- Smart Insights, 2013, Using video for social change, Access here
Medias & FGM Using the Media to End FGM - the example of the Global Media Campaign (GMC) to End FGM Global Media Campaign to End FGM has been working since 2014, in 9 countries in Africa (Gambia, Kenya, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Mali, Ethiopia,...
Medias & FGM Media Is the use of shocking images a tool to strengthen the fight against FGM or does it just create further harm? Around the world, institutions and grassroot organisations use varying strategies and approaches to better communicate about FGM...
Medias & FGM Podcasts that raise awareness on FGM Podcasts are digital audio content available to the listener whenever and wherever they want by streaming or downloading it to a phone or other media device. When podcasts were invented in the early 2000s there...
Medias & FGM Using media – interviews with activists and journalists How can media be used to promote the abandonment of FGM? That was the question raised by AIDOS on September 28th when they organized an online talk with activists and journalist Charity Resian...
Medias & FGM Videos that raise awareness on FGM Videos that raise awareness on FGM Videos are electronic displays of moving visuals that carry a message and a story from the creator to inform the viewer and provoke thoughts and ideas. Over the years, videos have...
Medias & FGM Building capacity to use media to address FGM AIDOS’ work with media to tackle Female Genital Mutilation The Italian NGO AIDOS has always put a lot of focus on communication in its work to promote the abandonment of Female Genital Mutilation...